Cobra Golf today introduces introduced the 2019 KING F9 SPEEDBACK™ family: Drivers & Fairways plus Irons & Hybrids.
The KING F9 driver, features breakthrough SPEEDBACKTM Technology, which, for the first time in golf, successfully combines a highly aerodynamic clubhead shape with low CG. SPEEDBACK is a game-changing advancement in the way a driver is engineered. The combination of an efficient aerodynamic shape and an engineered weight structure on the sole, improves club speed while maintaining a low, deep CG to create the most efficient transfer of energy to the ball. Utilizing a CNC Precision Milled Face, created using industry-leading face manufacturing technology, allows for a thinner and hotter face design that has shown ball speed increases up to 1.5 mph when tested against a traditional, hand-polished face. These technologies fuse to deliver the ultimate formula for speed and extreme distance.
To create this more aerodynamic SPEEDBACKTM Shape, COBRA® engineers raised the perimeter skirt, aft (tail) and crown, and rounded the leading edges to reduce drag and improve speed and stability. These performance technologies and design innovations delivers a truly “AEROFICIENT” driver.
Continually pushing the boundaries of innovation, COBRA® engineers have developed golf’s first ultralight carbon wrap crown design that wraps around the body, delivering a 12% larger carbon fiber area, saving 10 grams of weight compared to a titanium crown driver. 360 Aero™ Technology utilizes lightweight polymer crown trips and titanium sole trips positioned relative to the direction of airflow around the clubhead, further helping to reduce drag. Strategically placed PWR Ridges™ are designed to enhance aerodynamics and add rigidity to the carbon crown structure creating more energy return and more power to the ball to maximize speed and distance.
COBRA® continues to utilize its proprietary, CNC Precision Milled driver face, which utilizes a precise CNC milling process, to deliver its thinnest, hottest face repeatedly on every driver manufactured. CNC precision milling allows COBRA® engineers to achieve more precise face thickness and tighter tolerances compared to the manual hand polishing method used on traditional drivers, resulting in improved bulge-and-roll curvatures and a face that is 3% thinner and 10% lighter. For the first time, with the precision of CNC milling, all new E9 Speed Tuned Technology™ optimizes the bottom roll curvatures on the face of each driver to tune launch & spin for different swing speeds and attack angles.
The KING F9 SPEEDBACK™ driver (MAP $449) is constructed using a lightweight 8-1-1 Titanium body and face that spares weight, allowing engineers to position the CG low and deep. COBRA’s patented E9™ Technology features a variable thickness face designed with an elliptical pattern Sweet Zone™, creating more hot spots farther away from the center to maximize distance on miss-hits. Dual Roll Technology™ optimizes top and bottom face curvatures, which are CNC precision milled to exact specs on every driver, to minimize gear effect that negatively impacts launch and spin on misses. Additionally, three horizontal bulge curvatures are designed to optimize the face angle on the toe and heel to minimize slicing and hooking of the ball due to off-center impacts. Combining weight saving technologies into the design allows for an adjustable weight system (with interchangeable 14g & 2g weights) that can be used to move the CG in the front or back position to help golfers customize launch and spin characteristics to improve their distance. MyFly8® with Smart Pad® technology affords golfers the choice of 8 loft settings (and 3 draw) to fine-tune trajectory and launch conditions while Smart Pad® ensures a square clubhead at address.
The KING F9 SPEEDBACK™ Fairway (MAP $269) is the first of its kind to feature a CNC Precision Milled Face, which, according to test results, delivers up to 2.5mph in increased ball speed, compared to traditional hand polished fairway faces.
SPEEDBACK™ Technology in the fairway utilizes a low, back tungsten weight and re-engineered Baffler® rails that move the CG low and deep, and improve turf interaction, to deliver more club and ball speed at impact. A fixed, 15g tungsten weight positioned low and back, promotes high, towering ball flights and maximum forgiveness. Progressive Baffler® Rail Heights are designed shallower in the lower lofted fairways and steeper in the higher lofted fairways to account for varying attack angles. 360 Aero™ polymer crown and titanium sole trips positioned relative to the direction of airflow around the clubhead, further help to reduce drag and increase club speed. An ultralight carbon fiber crown saves discretionary weight up high, to move the CG lower and deeper for higher launch with increased forgiveness. PWR Ridge™ crown designs add rigidity to the lightweight carbon crown structure to promote more energy return to the ball to maximize ball speed.
Rounding out the high-performance design, MyFly8® with SmartRail™ technology affords golfers their choice of 8 loft settings (and 3 draw) to help manage trajectory and customize launch conditions while Smart Rail™ keeps the face square regardless of the loft setting.
The new SPEEDBACK™ irons and hybrids utilize COBRA’s breakthrough SPEEDBACKTM technology, that for the first time successfully combines a low center-of-gravity (CG) and high moment of inertia (MOI) to deliver the perfect blend of ball speed and forgiveness, for the first time, in one iron.
Available in a traditional, variable length set make-up and a forward-thinking, ONE Length™ configuration, the KING F9 SPEEDBACKTM irons are packed with an impressive array of cutting-edge technologies designed to deliver unrivaled performance. Traditionally, in game improvement irons, golfers had to choose between distance or forgiveness. In the new F9 irons, COBRA engineers were able to deliver the ultimate combination of both through SPEEDBACK™ Technology, a design concept that utilizes innovative shaping elements different from a traditional game-improvement iron. Through SPEEDBACK shaping, engineers were able to optimize low CG and high MOI to create the company’s longest, fastest, and most forgiving iron.
Key elements of SPEEDBACK™ Technology include:
- Low CG SPEEDBACKTM Sole – Mass is added low and back using a belt of steel that wraps around the back of the iron, creating a lower and deeper CG that maximizes ball speed, launch and carry distance. SPEEDBACK shaping strategically positions the weight belt just above the contact area on the sole to maintain the sole width of a conventional game-improvement iron.
- High MOI Design – To maximize performance, SPEEDBACK shaping allowed more mass to be added low and wide (out to the heel and toe) compared to a traditional iron. Also, up to a combined 33 grams of Tungsten were added to the heel and toe in the 4-7 iron, a material used in premium priced irons. These shaping improvements increase MOI by up to 10% in the long irons, creating more stability through higher inertia that results in substantial improvements in ball speed, distance, forgiveness, and even accuracy.
Other technologies featured in the irons include:
- Forged E9™ PWRSHELL™ Face – An improved E9TM (variable thickness) face is 3 grams lighter and features thin, 1.8 mm pockets in the upper heel and toe that expand the SWEET ZONE™ area on the face. The forged PWRSHELLTM insert features a deep undercut sole design and an all new2 mm internal Speed Channel that absorbs and returns more energy to the ball for faster ball speeds and increased launch angle.
- Co-Molded Medallion – a 3-piece multi-material medallion combines Aluminum, a soft Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) and Acrylic foam that improves sound and feel by damping vibrations at impact.
- CNC Milled Face and Grooves – CNC precision milling delivers more accurate lofts and allows for tighter tolerances on face roughness and groove shaping to optimize spin and trajectory control. Unlike cast grooves, which can vary in shape, CNC milling reduces the variability in the groove shapes to ensure that the performance is consistent in every iron.
- Progressive Spin Technology™ – The long irons, mid irons and wedges are each designed with different groove shapes to deliver specific performance characteristics. CNC milled V-grooves in the 4-7 irons improve distance by reducing spin for increased distance and flight time, while U-grooves in the 8-PW optimize spin for improved control and accuracy. Tighter-spaced wedge grooves in the GW and SW maximize spin and improve trajectory control for enhanced greenside precision.
- Progressive Hosel Lengths – Shorter hosel lengths in the long irons position the CG lower to promote higher launch, while progressively taller hosel lengths in the short irons and wedges raise the CG progressively to promote a lower, more controlled ball flight.
- COBRA CONNECT – The COBRA CONNECT, Powered By Arccos™ system features electronically enabled grips that work in conjunction with the Arccos Caddie app to give users the ability to track their stats and improve their game. **Consumers who purchase a COBRA 6-piece (or greater) iron or combo set will receive complimentary screw in sensors, or smart, COBRA CONNECT grips, to utilize on the rest of the clubs in their bag, including one putter sensor (valued at $350).
The KING F9 SPEEDBACKTM irons in variable length, (MAP: $799 Steel/$899 Graphite) come standard with regular or stiff KBS Tour 90 shafts and black Lamkin Crossline COBRA CONNECT grips. The stock steel set make-up is 5-GW with optional 4-iron and SW complements available through custom. The KING F9 SPEEDBACK irons are also available in a Graphite Combo Set ($999) utilizing Fujikura ATMOS 60-gram shafts in S, R or LITE flexes. The set makeup includes a 5H and 6-PW, GW. A Steel Combo Set in the same make up is available in Custom. Both set makeups (iron set and combo set) are available in right-hand and left-hand configurations.
KING F9 Women’s SPEEDBACKTM Irons ($899 Graphite Combo Set) utilize the same cutting-edge technologies as the men’s set, with a design engineered specifically for the needs of female golfers. The stock women’s SPEEDBACK irons come in a Graphite Combo Set makeup featuring a 5H, 6H and 7-PW, SW. The KING F9 women’s SPEEDBACK
The KING F9 SPEEDBACKTM ONE Length irons (MAP: $799 Steel/$899 Graphite) come standard with blue Lamkin Crossline COBRA CONNECT grips. The stock steel set make-up is 5-PW, GW with optional 4-iron and SW complements available through custom. The ONE Length irons are also available in a Graphite Combo Set utilizing Fujikura ATMOS ONE Length 60-gram shafts in S, R or LITE flexes. The set makeup includes a 5H and 6-PW, GW. A Steel Combo Set in the same make up is available through custom. ONE Length irons are available in RH, and LH is available through custom.
Providing the perfect complement to the SPEEDBACK Irons, COBRA is also unveiling its new KING F9 SPEEDBACKTM Hybrids, available in variable length or ONE Length designs. COBRA has integrated its breakthrough SPEEDBACK technology with its popular Baffler® rails to produce the highest performing Hybrid in its history. This Hybrid’s performance can be attributed to the following key technologies:
- SPEEDBACKTM w BAFFLER® Technology – This year, COBRA has improved upon its BAFFLER® Rails by adding SPEEDBACK™, a low, back weight structure that sits in-between the two rails, which are strategically centered around the clubs’ center of gravity. These technologies fuse to deliver the best combination of low CG and improved turf interaction, increasing ball and club speed to maximize distance from any lie.
- Forged 455 High-Strength Stainless Steel Face – maximizes the amount of flex at impact for increased ball speeds and distance across the entire face.
- High MOI Design – Shaping improvements include a 10% larger clubhead compared to KING F8, creating a higher MOI for increased forgiveness. Additionally, the hybrid features a straighter leading edge that allows golfers to align the club to the target similar to how they would with an iron for improved accuracy.
- Back CG Position – A fixed, external 15-gram tungsten weight is positioned low & back, creating a low/deep CG that produces more speed and high, towering ball flights. The 15-gram weight is interchangeable, allowing golfers to golfers to customise their swing weight.
The KING F9 SPEEDBACKTM men’s Hybrids (MAP $219) are available in 17-degrees, 19-degrees, 21-degrees and 24-degrees of loft and come standard with a Fujikura ATMOS 70-gram shaft in R, S or LITE Flex and black Lamkin Crossline COBRA CONNECT grips. The KING F9 SPEEDBACKTM Women’s Hybrids are available in 22-degrees, 25-degrees, 28-degrees and 31-degrees of loft and come stock with Fujikura ATMOS 60-gram shafts in ladies’ flex and Lamkin Crossline (Standard Men’s Size) COBRA CONNECT grips.
The KING F9 SPEEDBACK TM ONE Length Hybrids (MAP $219) offer the same performance boosting features that the traditional length hybrid options do, with the infusion of COBRA’s patented ONE Length configuration. Engineered using matching 7-irons length and lie angle, the SPEEDBACK ONE Length hybrid simplifies a players’ game by allowing them to use one repeatable set-up and swing for their irons and hybrids. These hybrids are available in 19-degree, 21-degrees and 24-degrees of loft and come standard with ATMOS ONE Length 70-gram shafts in S, R or LITE flexes with blue Lamkin Crossline COBRA CONNECT grips.
All F9 products are available at retail at online, January 18, 2019. For more information on the full KING F9 family visit, www.cobragolf.com.