We initially reviewed the Scotty Cameron Futura X5R earlier in 2015, and I was extremely impressed with the putter. In fact, I was so impressed with it that I decided I wanted to customize it. After seeing the X5R in hand and a few tour only versions, I had some ideas in my head, so I got to work. I knew I wanted to go with a simple gold torch finish and finally use the slick lime green paint I had laying around. Initially, I wanted to do a high polish on the entire putter, but after considering the surface area, I decided that the glare from the sun would have been too great.
Tear Down & Polishing
The more recent generations of Scotty Cameron putters have a lot more removable parts than we’ve previously seen. Obviously there have been putters with removable weights and inserts, but a lot of the newer mallets like the Futura X5R have had multi-piece bodies. Below are pictures of the putter disassembled.
On the sole in the first picture, you’ll notice the putter has a more shiny finish. I used a polishing compound and different tools to polish the entire sole as well as the sides. It doesn’t add much value to the putter since I didn’t torch it too much, but it does look cool.
Another point to note is that paint removal was difficult because the paints almost stain the black finish of the sole plate.
Now that I had the putter taken apart, I had to clean it very thoroughly and then degrease it to make sure I removed all of the oils from handling it. During this process, I use a metal degreaser, a tooth brush, and hot water. If I was REALLY professional, I’d use distilled water instead of tap water. It’s important to wear latex gloves when handling the putter from degrease phase through mounting for torching so you don’t transfer any oils to the metal prior to doing the finish.
With the torching complete, it’s time to put the putter back together. Below is just a picture of all of the components of the putter and how I kept them organized.
With the putter’s finish complete, it’s time to put the putter back together. As seen in the picture above, I made sure to keep all of the sole plate screws organized to go back in the same exact spot. They may all be the same size and interchangeable, but I figured I may just as well keep the organized this way and keep it simple. The larger O rings go around a slot on the weights and the five smaller rings act as a spacer between the sole plate and the body of the putter.
Now that the putter head is back together, it’s time to paint, re-shaft, and grip the putter. As mentioned earlier, I was anxious to use my lime enamel paint so I went with lime, black, and white. Frankly, I think the color combo is perfect and I’m extremely pleased with it.
I wasn’t a big fan of the stock grey alignment lines on the “flange” so I went with white and I really like how it came out.
One of the hardest parts of this entire job was painting the alignment lines on the topline and the fangs. They take a lot of paint and it’s hard to get clean and smooth. I used a paint needle bottle to do this one.
For accessories, I dove in and did it right. I was working on this right around The Masters and a different headcover caught my eye. I’m really not fond of the stock headcover so I ordered the IJP Design Masters headcover for it. True, it’s not lime green, but it does have green and white in it and it’s just a really nice quality cover.
I also sent the shaft off to get a proprietary black finish put on it. Scotty did us the pleasure of using a single bend shaft that’s specific to this putter so just buying one aftermarket was not an option. To finish it off, I found a lime green Cameron Custom Shop shaft band on ebay and also picked up a lime green Cameron Pistolero grip to finish it off.